February 7, 2007
Literacy and Basic Skills : Student Advancement Program : Housing Program
Investing In Women’s Futures : Advocacy Program : Pimaatisiwin Program
Life Skills Program : Nurturing The Inner Circle : Coming Full Circle : Ongoing Activities
Nurturing The Inner Circle
“Nurturing the Inner Circle” is a program designed to empower young Native women by providing information, resources and networking opportunities. Participants will learn to build confidence, self-esteem and self-respect.
To empower, educate and motivate young Native women to avoid potentially violent situations by providing a series of teachings/ sharing circles led by Elders, cultural teachers and professional facilitators.
Together we explore the history of violence and how it affects us today. We learn how to create changes for our families, our communities and ourselves.
- To raise cultural awareness among young women regarding women’s roles and responsibilities in Traditional societies.
- To provide young Native women with opportunities to develop self-confidence, self-esteem, and pride, in their cultural identities.
- To provide young Native women with information, resources, and networking opportunities to enable them to avoid or leave abusive relationships.
- To contribute to ongoing efforts to curb violence in Native communities.
- Exploring the effects and legacy of violence
- Building self-esteem by looking at the impact of mainstream cultural values
- Defining roles and responsibilities with regard to women’s social; and economic roles
- Present legal options and issues from an Native perspective.
For more info, contact:
(416) 963-9963 ext. 223